Thursday, December 27, 2007

Buone Feste!

For those of you who celebrate Christmas, I apologize for the belated greeting, and I hope your Christmas was a happy one!

The Italian word for Christmas, Natale, is only one vowel away from my name, Natalie. I must admit that when I stroll through the city at this time of year, I feel famous. Buon means good, so at first glance, it appears that all the shops are festooned with signs that read: Good Natalie! Love that.

The Italian way to say Happy New Year is Felice Anno Nuovo. I'd just like to point out the critically important second n in the word anno. About 12 years ago, I was writing out holiday cards to family and friends in the States, as Davide, my Italian boyfriend (now husband) looked on. At the bottom of the cards, I had written: Buon Natale e Felice Ano Nuovo. (Note the lack of the second n in anno.) Davide started to laugh--one of those laughs where he can't speak for a good 60 seconds, complete with tears streaming down his face. When he finally pulled himself together, he told me about the missing n.

Apparently, I was wishing my loved ones a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Anus. Oops.
.
So with all the n's in tact, allow me to wish you all a Felice AnNo Nuovo and a prosperous , healthy 2008!

P.S. Here's another double-n greeting--this time for my mom. Happy Birthday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh, Natalie!

Danette V.

Natalie said...

You're welcome, Danette! I've made a linguistic fool of myself several times over here. And I'm sure there are more oops moments to come! :-)

Buzz de Cafe said...

Sorry to hear about your son's illness and all the extra gingerbread houses! I hope he's better now. And Happy New Anus!

(Considering my recent sledding incident - that actually applies to me! :)

Buzz de Cafe said...

Sorry Natalie - that "phantom Admin" is me - Julie. I didn't realize my husband was still logged in. It's me - Julie, from your crit group.

Natalie said...

Sorry about the sledding accident, Julie...ouch. In your case, I'll drop that 2nd N and say: Felice Ano Nuovo!

africakidandtheworld said...

Too funny! Did you actually send out any of your New Year's cards before Davide caught it?

Natalie said...

Hi africakid,

No, luckily Davide caught my error before I mailed the cards! Although I did have to go back and squeeze in that extra n, and this was before I did Christmas letters on the computer. :-) Hope your holidays were happy!