Friday, February 02, 2007

The view from my window...

I live in Trieste, a city on the Adriatic Sea tucked way up in the northeast corner of Italy. Except for a handful of people, most of my family and friends haven't seen where I live. Those who have never been here say things like: "Italy! You must love it there!" or "You're so lucky!" And I am.

Most of the time.

But then there are the other times...wading my way through the infamous Italian red tape (which I'm pretty sure is represented by the red stripe on the Italian flag ...), the Italian postal system (where "snail mail" takes on new meaning), and parking...don't get me started on parking.

But I didn't want to begin this blog on a negative note, so I thought I'd post a picture of the view from our living room window. On those days when I've battled red tape, something important has been lost in the mail, and I've had to park on the sidewalk because I arrived late to pick up my kids from school, I just take a deep breath (okay, maybe three) and soak in the view from the window...it works even better with a glass of wine in my hand.

11 comments:

Alison Ashley Formento said...

Love this! You're name matches my daughter's.
The photos make me want to return to Italy!

Beverly Patt said...

Natalie,

I needed that view right this second! Thanks for sending:) I'm taking my own deep breaths and gazing out your window. I'm feeling much better!
Must chat w/ u about the ins and outs of moving overseas - we are (hopefully) moving to England in August. My biggest worry is school for my kids - my high schooler esp - and hoping everything transfers back!
Back to my revisions...
me

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I hear ya on that wine part.

What a view! Wish I was going to Trieste this spring. WAH!!!!!

Ruth McNally Barshaw said...

Tell us more!
It's all very interesting so far, and you've only just started. :)

(hoping this didn't send twice; the comments field just disappeared. Weird)

Ruth from Gango

Dana said...

Reading your entry, Natalie, I felt a breeze of peacefulness touch my face. So many memories came rushing back. I watched the movie, NORA, the other day about James Joyce and his turbulent experiences with his love, Nora. Quite a bit of the movie took place in Trieste ... at least that is what was claimed. We never got to see views such as yours or even Piazza Unita. I was hoping for the occasional glimpse into the beautiful world of Trieste. Now, having seen your blog, I will just drop by every so often and get an "Italian fix." Should I bring a glass of Brachetto along?

Anonymous said...

Hey Natalie!
Sometimes you do get prime parking. I remember your surprise when you found prime parking near the waterfront when Randy and I visited. I guess it doesn't happen often. :-)
S.

Natalie said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone! Ashley, where in Italy have you been?

Bev...here's to your new view in England next year. :)

Cynthea...you'll have to include Trieste on your itinerary the next time you're in Italy!

Christy and Ruth, thanks so much for stopping by!

Dana...maybe this will prompt you to come back to Trieste for a visit?? I'll have the brachetto waiting.

Sharon, you witnessed a rarity here...an open parking space! You and Randy will have to return and we'll try our luck again. :)

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to read your experience of Trieste. I am myself thinking of moving there because of love.
:-)
Please don't stop...

Natalie said...

Hi anonymous...amore is probably the best reason to come here! Good luck...

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog Natalie, now I knew you had a daughter and a son, but some how I missed the second daughter.

I hope you and Davide are enjoying Trieste, and yes Dana sent me the site.

Paul

Natalie said...

Hi Paul!

Great to hear from you! Where are you now...last I heard you were headed to the U.S. Would love to hear how you're doing.

:-) Natalie