Monday, October 15, 2007

Boats, boats, and more boats

Yesterday was the annual Barcolana, a regatta held just off the coast of Trieste. It attracts sailing enthusiasts from all over the world, transforming little 'ol Trieste into a bona fide tourist attraction.

The day was gorgeous but wildly windy, and many smaller sailboats had to bow out of the race. Here are a few shots:

The leaning sail on the left side of the photo is the Alpha Romeo, which won the race in a record 55 minutes. The speck in the sky is a helicopter carrying people who make sure everyone follows the rules. Not an easy task, if Italians drive their boats the way they drive their cars.


Here are some spectators on the boulders that line the coast, with the Castello Miramare off in the distance. Many of them were sipping wine. I don't know about you, but I'd say wine just doesn't mix with jagged boulders surrounded by a swirling, frigid sea. Go ahead--call me prudent.


Here's a view of the 1800 boats as seen over the terracotta rooftops of Trieste.


And here is my first attempt at embedding my own video. I wasn't actually tryng to capture the scenery as much as the sounds...the church bells tolling, the sea and the wind. As it turns out, the sun was so bright that I couldn't see a darn thing I was filming. If you take that into account, it's not that bad. But even if you do take the blinding sun into account, you'll see that I won't likely be nominated for any film awards this year. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, I'd be right next to you drinking kool-aid or something. Wine and jagged anything just don't mix!

Cool video. I always enjoy your posts.

Danette V.

Unknown said...

I love it Nat!!! You did it again... you have truly captured our way of life here.... when I get homesick for the States this always help me to remember why I came here. Thank You, Carla

Natalie said...

I hear you, Danette...pass the Kool-Aid. Thanks for saying you liked my windy video. :-)

Thanks, Carla! Sometimes we need reminding, don't we? (Usually during those times in which we can't find a parking space. Which is just about every day.) ;-)