Monday, March 12, 2007

When the Bora blows...

Trieste is a windy city--sort of like the Chicago of Italy. It's famous for La Bora...a gale-force wind that swoops down from the north and pummels the city, especially in winter. It's been known to gust up to speeds of 150 km/hour (93 miles/hour).

The old timers here say the Bora was much stronger 40 years ago, as you can see in this photo here:

Many street corners still have chains for people to hang on to. The real threat isn't being carried away alà Dorothy and Toto--it's the flying debris. After the Bora blows into town, there's always a story in the paper about someone getting hit with a flying roadsign or a flowerbox that was ripped from a windowsill.

The Bora usually lasts about three days--much longer than that, and you start to go crazy. Especially when you have three kids who are stuck inside, begging you to let them go out to play.

There is one good thing about the Bora--it usually clears out the smog and clouds, leaving behind a sparkling blue sky.

My personal Bora beef has to do with laundry. If you read my previous post on
laundry, you know all about the drying racks on my balcony. Here's what happens when the Bora and my laundry collide:
Luckily, these are dark clothes, so the dirt doesn't show...too much. At least, not enough to wash everything again. With the white load...that's another story. Especially if it's rained overnight.

So why don't I just bring the laundry inside? Stay tuned, because I'll need a whole separate post to answer that question...

4 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Natalie, I'd heard about the Bora winds, but thanks for the scoop on that. And I've seen those chains, too, but I had NO IDEA what they were there for. As far as laundry, as I've said before, I feel for you! I can't tell you how many times I raced to save my laundry from Italian rain--but I've never experienced Italian wind.

Alison Ashley Formento said...

Oh, looks cold, too. I'd be afraid to take my little ones outside--and what about the animals? Dogs? Cats? How do they manage?

Speaking of animals, I saw your previous post on Ostrich food for babies. Ostrich farms are quite popular in Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle these days. Barbequed ostrich, anyone?

Anonymous said...

The Bora sounds like something straight out of a sci-fi book! It doesn't coincide with alien landings or anything, does it?

And ostrich is good--it takes like (beef) steak, only it's tender enough for a toddler with only one set of molars to chew, and yet it's extremely low in fat. At least, the premarinated stuff I get at the grocery store here in Germany. But the posts on Italian baby food are still hysterical. Our baby food sticks to the usual food groups--mush, fruits, vegetables, and chocolate.

Natalie said...

Tina--I'm glad you know what the chains are for now, in case you ever need them!

Alison Ashley--The Bora is cold, but there's a version that comes in the summer too, so it's a wind for all seasons!

And to think I never knew ostrich was culinary hit. I wonder if Gerber and Beech Nut will catch on?

Olmue--Germany has chocolate baby food?? I'd eat that over ostrich any day! ;-)