Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Feeling Thankful

This Fall season has flown by. I can't believe Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is only 3 weeks away. Here are a few things we've been thankful for this Fall...

1. Trick-or-Treating in a land of trick-or-treat experts.
For the past 5 years, we had to create our own Halloween in Italy. Sure, the shops were festooned with jack-o-lanterns and witches, but that's where all the orange and bl
ack fun ended. No one actually carves pumpkins or goes trick-or-treating. All the costume fun comes later, during Carnivale.

We started a trick-or-treating tradition with our neighbors, but we had to buy the candy ahead of time, put it into small bags and tie the bags to their doorknobs. That way our kids would get candy even if the neighbors weren't home. And most weren't, because why should they be at 7:30pm, when most people are just getting off work? This year, it was so nice to go door to door and get free candy. For the kids, or course...it all went to the kids.


2. Fall leaves
The most common kind of trees in Trieste seemed to be pine trees. There were other kinds whose names escape me, but very few turned color in the fall. Those who did were beautiful, but their hues were mild, understated. The fall colors here on the east coast of the U.S. took my breath away.

3. Thanksgiving

My Italian relatives have all seen the traditional Turkey-Day dinner in American movies, of course, so they were all excited when the end of November rolled around. This meant that Natalie had to prepare the turkey and all the fixin's herself. Everyone worked on Thanksgiving, so they all showed up right before dinner was served. Italian table manners dictate that you must dive in as soon as the food is set before you (a sign of respect for the food and the cook, because who wants to eat cold food?). No matter how much I planned, I was always slow on the gravy uptake, and my in-laws would inevitably finish the dinner while I was out in the kitchen stirring up the gravy. This meant more gravy for me, however, so it wasn't all bad.

This year we went to my parents' house, and my mom was in charge of the dinner. She would tell my sister and I when to stir this, how much butter we needed to add to that, which we dutifully did while the three of us chatted away. I loved it.

Hope everyone had a peaceful, happy Thanksgiving!









6 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I don't know which I envy you for more: those beautiful autumn leaves (we don't have any here either, though back in Scotland, the whole countryside is blazing away with them), or having your mother prepare Thanksgiving dinner for you! I would love to sit down to a Thanksgiving dinner I hadn't personally slaved over -- wonder if or when I'll ever do that again...

Natalie said...

Mary, something is wrong with the universe if you live in Turkey and have to prepare your own Thanksgiving turkey. If it makes you feel any better, just about all the leaves are gone here!

Anonymous said...

It must have been so nice for you to spend Thanksgiving with your family after so long. Glad to hear you got a break from cooking.
I'd like to send Jordon a birthday card but don't have your address or email. Could you let me know.
It was great talking to Davide when he was here.Wish you were coming for a Christmas visit.
Love Tess

Natalie said...

Thanks, Tess! I hope Andrea's birthday was a happy one...can't believe he's TEN! I just sent you an email...

Julie_c said...

I've never made a turkey in my life. Because my house is so tiny, it's not ideal for large family gatherings. When people do come over, I try to keep things very casual like chili. I hate missing the party! I wonder if your in-laws sat around on Thanksgiving and missed your massive meal?

Natalie said...

That was my excuse this year, too! Our house is much smaller than my parents' house, so we all congregated there. My in-laws did say they missed having T-day this year. I'm sure they had a nice pasta dish, instead!